Sunday, March 1, 2020

Swallowed Tears

"You look rough..." she said,
As I sat on the bed,
Over sized shirt,
The ink on my chest peeking through.

I guess I've just been handling my shit,
I knew in that moment she was seeing everything I was feeling...
And for the first time in months I felt seen.

"You just look like you've been through war..."

"Well, I have kind of been at war in my head for a while now..." I paused, and felt as if we were going to actually talk... get deep, ya know?

"I've just been having this nightmare about my mom... and I feel like each day that passes is a day closer to the day I get that call... and..." I paused again.

She was scrolling...
It was silent.

"Sorry, I know it's stupid." I took a step back into my shell.

"It's not stupid..." her eyes never leaving her phone.
The moment fled.
I swallowed my tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment