Sunday, July 9, 2023

The Well

 A hole,

Surrounded by dirt,

Rain pours down on me,

Mud clings to me, alongside my white t-shirt.


Look to the sky,

I'm sinking.

The space around me is rapidly filling with hurricane rain.

Violent thunder shatters the silence.


The ground beneath my feet feels like quick sand, as the ground above me grows further and further away.

At first I claw at the sides of the hole, fighting with mud, twigs, and stones...

Aching to make my way out-

But eventually...

I give up.

Just as those before me did.

The ones that were consumed by the storm.


"I can float, or swim" I think,

But then quickly realize my clothes are so heavy from the mud and rain... they are stuck to my chilled skin.

So heavy, moving only makes it worse.


I gaze up at the sky,

Raindrops falling on my face.

In this moment I can't decipher the rain from my tears... 

My vision a blur-

I think I see stars... maybe the moon.

Maybe tonight I'll become one of those stars...

Maybe my fight will end, and I'll come out brighter on the other side.

I can only hope as I gasp, my very last breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment