Monday, April 4, 2016

Kaleidoscopic Downpour

I am drenched in raindrops,
Each a different size, a different color, a different density.
I try to count them as they land on my skin, but lose track upwards of 333.
My eyes shut tightly as I turn my face to the dark, and angry sky.
She rages, but I find peace in her thunder.

The only sounds I hear are the pounding in my chest,
Mixed with the sounds of the pouring rain.
I am lost in its steady tempo,
A song I haven't heard yet.

Tilting my head back down, I open my eyes.
In front of me is a creek,
The raindrops dance on top of the water,
Merging into her body, and becoming part of her.
To my right there is a waterfall.

By now I can't differentiate the sounds of the rain and the roar of the falls.
The pounding in my chest grows louder and stronger.
My white shirt clung to my skin like paint.
My nipples peeking through.

My curly hair is drenched,
Dripping,
And I find myself closing my eyes and turning my sun kissed face back to the sky.

Slowly, I start to take my shirt off,
Throwing it on the ground, careless of the mud that now surrounds me.
I slip out of my skirt, and hang it on a nearby tree branch.

Before I know it my toes are at the water's edge,
And I am lost in the beauty of the moment.
To be here with you, would be breathtaking.

I wade into the water,
Warmer than I had anticipated, from the summer storm.
Inhaling deep, I hold my breath.
Submerged I become.
The sound of the rain and the song of the falls sound so different from under here.
It's much more quiet,
But equally as intriguing and peaceful.

I hold my breath until I feel faint.
Popping back to the surface, I gasp for air.
My lungs sting, but I smile.

I let the running water wash past my naked skin,
I feel fully encompassed and one with the universe in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment