Sunday, April 3, 2016

Fireflies

The hours flew by,
I simply couldn't seem to catch them;
Though I chased them fiercely like fireflies in the night,
Like I was 9 again.

They slipped through my fingers,
Fluid,
Like water,
Like Love.

And here I am.
Time to close my eyes,
Time to welcome the night,
But my mind so wide awake...

Morning will approach sooner than I anticipate,
The sky will be a hue of pink and orange.
I will smile.
A routine I've missed, so picked back up.

My body sore from the activities of the night,
Of the weekend, truly.
My hands dry, from the work I've put in today.
Yet, a feeling of accomplishment washes over me.
I fear a test failed, twice
But I must persevere -
For life is about learning, and pushing on.

I miss summer nights,
Barefoot in the grass,
Chasing fireflies like tangible stars.
Grace bestowed upon me, for being innocent,
Love handed to me,
Taken out of what I thought was just supposed to be mine.

I remember her,
The girl that I used to be-
Wild and free,
Without a care in the world...
Part of her has died,
and part of her is lost at sea
But I am confident she will find her way back home,
She will someday be whole again.

She will chase the stars,
Keep them in a jar,
and set the fireflies free instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment